Forum: Writers

Subject: Using digital art for book covers

Martine opened this issue on Jun 16, 2012 · 25 posts

marineguy posted Sat, 23 June 2012 at 6:11 PM

Quote - Thinking about it... is it possible that Poser and Daz figures have become TOO recogniseable? What I mean.. despite a lot of work in Photoshop.. or their favourite app, the figures seem to STILL be.. Micheal or Victoria... etc... I have to wonder if it may be time for the "standard" characters to either get a renovation or retired altogether, in favour of some that are less identifiable.

Marineguy... my hat is off to you... I have taken on the chore of TRYING to illustrate my book somewhere between Manga and Trade... while I have time for anything... (I am retired.. you can laugh now.. I don't mind), it is still a huge undertaking. Lou.

Thanks, I started out with DAZ just to illustrate MY book, the majority of my early pics in my gallery in rendo are MY characters for the book. I feel even a simple scene or figure standing brings a character to life for the readers "mind's eye". I illustrated "Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" 30 year old series, my favcorite series just FOR ME because there was so little out there even after 30 plus years. Then I did my favorite childhood Superheros because I wanted to have their figures so I coujld create them in any pose I wanted. Unfortunately I got caught up in  making stuff just to get comments from people, so I burned out and stopped having fun. Now I get to read the books (free) for the people I do art for and it's fun. You can see my prrogression to burn out. My Characters, Superheros, pretty women, burnout.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=534733

I know what you mean about Michael/Victoria. I'm retired too and the moiney I spent outfitting, searching, fitting, modifying Vic/Mike 4 and then its Vic 5 and Genisis. I really think Vic 5 and Genesis look LESS real than version 4 (it could be just me ) how about everyone else? What do all of you think of Vic/Mike 5 and Genesis?