Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Question for Newer Poser Users

Acadia opened this issue on Jul 08, 2012 ยท 19 posts

ElZagna posted Sun, 08 July 2012 at 4:05 PM

Keep in mind that most NEW users will be working with P8, P9 or maybe one of the more recent PoserPro versions. I started with P8, so I'm not familiar with P6, but from what I understand there have been some significant changes since then. As a former new user, one of the most frustrating things for me was to work on some feature of Poser or some script only to find that that those features had been replaced or made unnecessary by some later release.

So given that, I would strongly encourage you to make the move up to the latest release so you won't be teaching old, "deprecated" techniques.

As you know, one of the biggest obstacles for most new users is Poser's content management. Your advice, which has been repeated in thread after thread is pretty comprehensive, and it got me over that hump. If I haven't thanked you before, let me thank you now. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Your first four topics deal essentially with getting everything set up which - for this new user at least - was a long and tortuous ordeal, so if you can help folks just get started, you would be doing them a huge favor.

One of the things that I have found to be useful in any kind of technical or instructional writing is to discuss the "why" questions before getting into the "how to" stuff. So for the organizational, content management, runtime tutorials you might start by discussing why the Poser Library is organized the way it is, and then talk about why you don't want to follow the default set up.

I see that you already know about the "Helping Poser Newbies" thread, but there was another on like it that was a sticky thread, but it seems to have disappeared. It had a lot of good FAQ-like questions that were typical of the questions that newbies ask.

This is the sort of thing that I have way too much advice for, so I'll just shut up now and let you get on with the tutorials.