Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Testimony to the power of EZskin

FaeMoon opened this issue on Jul 15, 2012 ยท 35 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 19 July 2012 at 1:42 AM

The shader is set up to use the color map data to control specularity. This is the result of there being a lot of hair on the skin maps, particularly eyebrow hair.

This means the luminance of the color map also affects the luminance of the specular, and not because we want it this way, but because this is Poser and people have only one good map - the color map. Hardly anybody has or uses a specular map.

So - when you HSV the color map down to a dark color, the specularity drops. You have to increase it to compensate.

Again - this is a not a natural relationship that is intrinsic to rendering skin. It's because of how the shader is wired.

Specular highlights reveal shape and so when they are suppressed, we lose a sense of the shape.

As for the scatter, I don't know what to tell you. When skin is darker, it means, by definition, that scatter is attenuated.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)