Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: -- Helping Daz Studio Newbies --

KimberlyC opened this issue on Apr 25, 2012 · 139 posts

Agent0013 posted Fri, 27 July 2012 at 10:05 AM

Quote - I am at a lost here..

I purchased Stonemasons Winter Kingdom and didn't think about the format.. thought it was for Poser..

I am so confused in Daz..

Can someone help..

Thank you!

~alice

I am new to this myself but here are my thoughts:

If you click on the Content Library tab and look at the list at the top of the pane that appears, there are five different things in the list, (this is at the beginning of the library). They are as follows:

1. DAZ Studio Formats,

2. Poser Formats,

3. Other Import Formats,

4. Products,

5. Categories.

You may notice that Products and Categories are headed by a different icon. The only parts of this list you need to concern yourself with at this time are the first two; DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats. I suggest you explore both of them all the way to the last folders. Look at every folder and all the products that can be found in the last of each hierarchy. 

If you don't understand what I'm trying to tell you, the following is how this works:

Click on DAZ Studio Formats. This is the main folder for all things that can be found and used of this type. The next part of the hierarchy opens, where you will find two folders; My Library and Studio3. 

Click on My Library. The next part opens. You will find several folders in this part with names like aniBlocks, Animals, Content, People, Props, etc.

Click on People. You may have more folders in this next part than I do, but I have only one named Genesis. If you have DS4 you will have this folder as well.

Click on Genesis. The next part has at least six folders in it, each with a descriptive name like Characters, Clothing, and Hair.

Click on Characters. At least two icons appear in the bottom section of the pane; Basic Female and Basic Male. If you double click on one of these it will load a character into the scene.

Now each part you clicked to get here corresponds to a folder that exists on your computer. The first folder, DAZ Studio Formats, contains all of the other folders. As you click on a folder name, it opens that folder, which will have the next set of folders within this particular one, until at the end you open the deepest folder containing the actual items you want to use. So you have a main folder that has secondary folders within it, which in turn have folders within them, and so on until the final deepest folders. This is how all five main folders are set up. It helps the software keep everything organized in a way that it can understand. The name for this setup is "Hierarchy", (basically just folders, within folders, within folders, etc.)

Now when you buy or acquire a 3rd party product to install in DAZ Studio or Poser, make sure it comes with a readme that gives clear instructions on how to install the product. This is important because it must be installed to the correct folders in order to work with your software. Otherwise you may not be able to use the product.

One thing I will suggest to you is to make sure you do not remove the product from your computer's harddrive even after in has been successfully installed. If you need the extra memory space, save the product on an external memory device that can be accessed by your computer if the need should ever arise.

I hope this helps. I am still learning myself, so let me know how you do.