Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is Genesis Killing DAZ?

gagnonrich opened this issue on Aug 04, 2012 · 172 posts

ssgbryan posted Sun, 05 August 2012 at 12:29 PM

Quote - I was getting ready to say... we are getting pretty far afield from the OP's question. The merits of Poser vs DS4 have been discussed endlessly, and they always end with locked threads.

Let's drop that part of the discussion (NOW) and return to the OP's issues, as LaurieA suggests.

Basicwiz, I have to disagree with you on this.  Whereas the merits of Poser vs. DS4 have been discussed ad nausem, they do apply directly to the OP question.

One simply can't talk about genesis features without talking about DS4 - the technologies are directly tied into each other, just like MicroSoft integrated Internet Exploder into Windows.

Genesis isn't a figure, it is a mesh platform for DS4.  Getting the genesis out of DS4 into Poser (or Cararra) is a fair bit of work.  It only works well in DS4 and it is perfectly reasonable for anyone who uses genesis to discuss how the features of the program and the character platform are tightly integrated - that was deliberately planned.

The Poser community and DAZ have come up with different ways to solve the same problem - Clothing for multiple figures.  Some people prefer the "one size fits all" approach that DS4 takes, and if you are new to this, it makes a lot of sense, both from the financial side and the learning curve.  Others prefer the more flexable approach that WW or Xdresser brings to the table.

Hell, I have absolutely no use for DS4, but I do see the advantages. I hate, hate hate the color scheme and GUI, but I have seen some nifty ideas in that GUI.  And I wouldn't mind adding it to my (growing) arsenal of tools.

What I also see is that DAZ has continued to botch the execution (like all of their software) with a DS4 that is half completed, and a very, very naked power grab that the "leadership" at DAZ thought would be eagerly accepted by the Poser community.  When that didn't happen, DAZ's corporate ego won't allow them to admit that they screwed the pooch and come up with a plan B.

The vendors have spoken and declared genesis a failure.  We can clearly see that based on the lack of genesis content outside of a semi-functional DAZ store.

If the vendors feel that genesis is a failure, then they won't develop for genesis, and it will go the way of earlier non-mainstream characters.

The interesting question is what is going to happen at the DAZ store when genesis reaches the V4 level of impractical armor and hookerware - Because of how genesis is designed, there is nowhere to go.

From my perspective, it appears that DAZ would much rather have a stranglehold on a much smaller DS4 market than have a majority of the Poser/DS market. Which makes sense if you look at the company's control issues.