Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is Genesis Killing DAZ?

gagnonrich opened this issue on Aug 04, 2012 · 172 posts

AetherDream posted Sun, 05 August 2012 at 11:07 PM

There are already a lot of really good and comprehensive posts that cover the issues with Daz's new figure and marketing approach, so I will not attempt to restate those problems.

For myself, I did give Genesis a go when DS4 gave away their software for free. I purchased some of the products for this new figure and tried out some renders. While the renders were good, they took an extreemly long time to complete. I can do a render on poser with v4 or GNDA on Poser with more figures in the scene and using SSS on the base figure and get results that I like much more in a matter of minutes, rather than a matter of hours. Limiting Genesis to their program forces users to use their program. I for one am a hobbyist and maybe have only 3 or 4 hours every week that I can spare for this hobby. Using DS4 would mean that It would take me weeks to have a completed scene that I could have done in a single session on Poser. It is nothing personal to Daz, but I do feel like they foolishly cut off their customer base out of some idea of converting users to thier software. I do not like to be strongarmed or pushed by any company for which I am a paying customer. The burden is on them to do what the customer wants, not to try to force the customer to do what they want them to do.

I calculated my spending at Daz. I used to spend about a thousand a year there. Now I distribute my money elswhere in the 3D market. I cannot help but think if there are a lot of other people out there who have done the same, it must be impacting Daz.  My PC will run out this December. I will not renew and in fact I have not used my store voucher in months. I used to look at Daz a couple of times a week. Now I look at Rendo and RDNA as well as other content sites a lot more frequently than I used to. The bulk of my spending is now at Renderosity. Nothing personal, but I am the customer, it is up to the company to try and get me to spend my money with them. If I feel like they are not meeting my needs then I move on and that is what I have done with Daz.

"People who attempt define what art is or is not, are not artists"---Luminescence