Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Speaking of Poser Native Figures, SIGGRAPH News...

WandW opened this issue on Aug 03, 2012 · 286 posts

RobynsVeil posted Mon, 06 August 2012 at 3:24 AM

Quote - I dont think Palo ever stated that a poser to LUX bridge was a technical "impossibly" he just stated  that it was not probable the HE would undertake one at that time when he was busy supporting the DS version.

Absolutely correct, sort-of 😉 :

"The argument that a Python exporter from Poser to Lux is feasible has been based, from several sources, on the fact that Blender's exporters are written in Python and they work just fine.
I know. I added the vertex group supoprt for the OBJ import/export programs of Blender. It is technically possible and it works for the most part but, in my experience, it has scalability problems. My development machine is an 8 core MacPro with plenty of power. When I see an exporter taking a long time exporting a single instance of V4, unclothed, untextured and unmorphed, I know that there is a performance problem. When I release a program to the vast public I feel quite a strong responsibility to make it work in the largest scenario possible. As it stands now, a Python solution doesn't sound as the right answer to me.

Because both Blender and Poser use Python people might be tempted to draw parallels. My comment in the previous message was a suggestion to refrain from doing that. Just because an operation is fast in Blender doesn't mean that it is as fast in Poser. Maybe it is, may it isn't. Until we collect exact data we cannot know.

What I meant was again in reference to the fact that several people pointed to LuxBlend as a proof of fact. All the scenes that I see that were exported from Blender with LuxBlend were not that complex in terms of detail. Exactly because I know that Poser scenes are similar to Studio's scene I know that the demands on the exporter will be much heavier than whatever has been tested on LuxBlend. And if somebody from the LuxRender developers is reading this let me be totally clear that I'm in awe at what LuxBlend does. It's a very complex piece of code that has very, very clever solutions to a lot of problems and is doing some little miracles both in the UI and in the computation. It's been an invaluable source of help in writing Reality. I just don't believe that, at this time, it is suited for the workflow of Studio or Poser users."

Just wanted to make sure what exactly was said, so as to clear up misconceptions and to dispel any ideas that the Reality 3 developer is against OSS... it is even as he says.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks