Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

Pret-a-3D opened this issue on May 14, 2012 · 8453 posts

superboomturbo posted Mon, 06 August 2012 at 8:50 PM

Quote - This is more for SBT that anything.. he demanded screenies from me showing my experiments with efficiency.  Ask therefore and ye shall receive.  Had a render running last night that had massive efficiency yet very slow s/s speed.  It was a simple scene and it was running very slow samples/sec wise.  After seeing it done this morning I think it was because the materials for the swingset I got sucked so badly that they didn't even show up in the lux render.  That and the disp maps for my ground and background were so hosed that they kept making lux crash til I removed them(i was watching the log to see what file it was hanging on before it crashed).  So.. to conserve space I'll just post the links to the screenies and give a brief description.

The semi-finished render I did last night  Note the over 4k% efficiency yet less than 20k samples/sec.  That and the fact that if the materials for the swingset and ground weren't hosed it would have been damned-near a finished render.  No graininess and blurs or anything in the main character and it's less than 200 passes.  Here

Here I just exported the render to let you see it full sized.. although the character doesn't look near life-like like some renders; that's more of material issue to me than how long it's baked.  Here

Demanded is a strong word

Anyway, I do notice something. Given the 8 hours of render time and ~200 passes, there is a bit grainyness to her skin in the shadows, whereas a lower effeciency but faster sample per second rate with more passes made would leave a crisp image.

Is this in GPU+CPU hybrid mode? I was curious if that's working better than RC1 and 2. I've been super busy on a V4/5 new character and texture that I haven't rendered anything more than 3Delight tests for lining things up.

crimsonworx.com; free ebooks and previews

I've bowed down to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crimsonworx