Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

Pret-a-3D opened this issue on May 14, 2012 · 8453 posts

superboomturbo posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 10:06 PM

Quote - a little survey

1. what size image do you usually render (i.e. 1500X2000)

2. for this size if you have a "simple scene" (one model, hair, and maybe a few scant clothes), what is your average kS/s and kC/s.

3. your cpu has ? cores and runs at what speed?

4. how much ram do do have?

5. on average how many s/p does it take until the image is considered "done" (for example 300 samples per pixel)

6. how long does it take to get to question 5.

A slightly different angle from me;

1: 1920x976 for screen size renders; tests before final, anywere from 1150 to 15xxx976; My screen is 22" but the overlay in studio takes up some space

2: again for a final render with a fairly simple props, I run just an IBL and one mesh and average anywhere from 370-780ks/s. Lux is good with huge scenes, but I've noticed that the more geometry you add doesn't affect things as much as how many lights are in your scene. Materials too, to some extent, like glass and the major speed killer, fog. My effciency wavers with each image, usually between 110-220% KC/s I don't average often, but norms seem to follow the ks/s values for me.

3: 6 cores at normal settings 3.2ghz; I overclock with watercooling as well, anywhere from 3.56ghz to 4.1, but that 4.1 tends to crash after an hour or so. My norm and stable is 3.56.

4: 12 gb DDR3 at 2000mhz normal; OC runs between 2200 and my highest was 2789 before the ol' blue screen of death. I leave it at 2000 when rendering for stability

5: All depends on the scene. Even with one figure, I look for 1k/pixel, but a simple scene with one figure can look clean and crisp at just 600 or so. Larger scenes need more samples to clean up. 1.5k seems to clear most any abnormalities if you're not using volumetric effects (light/fog), generally speaking. This is really a matter of taste.

6: Simple-ish scene for 1.5-2k on this rig is generally between 2-4 hours. If I'm just doing promo images with a figure and an IBL for my light source, an hour is very repeatable.

crimsonworx.com; free ebooks and previews

I've bowed down to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crimsonworx