Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Reality 3 for Poser

ghosty12 opened this issue on Aug 08, 2012 · 41 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 7:33 PM

Quote - > Quote - a) (in what way) are the Poser channels Alt_Diffuse and Alt_Specular supported? Because IMO that's where most of the conversion routines go nuts.

They are scanned completely and all the relevant information converted. Yes, it's not easy but it was imperative for me that the conversion would take in account the data in those inputs. As you said, most of the action happens there and so there's the need to preserve the data that shader writers have created. 

I have to speak here. I have not directly seen Reality 3 yet, but what Paolo describes here deserves huge respect.

I wanted to do this but did not have the patience. I got bored. This is a very difficult problem to solve.

I suspect that there will be minor differences between the Poser shader and the Lux shader - these are inevitable. But the very idea that Paolo has made the attempt to convert automatically is huge.

Huge!!! Are you listening? I know what I'm talking about.

This is impressive. I can't wait to see the conversion in practice.

If it's not perfect, I can promise it's not his fault. This is really important. The conversion of arbitrary Poser shaders is very difficult, given that Lux attempts to be realistic at all times and Poser shaders are often unrealistic.

So many Poser shaders are based on hacks that only work in a limited lighting context.

I would love to produce a set of shaders that are accurate both in Poser and after conversion by Reality 3.

The problem, as I've identified in another thread, is that we must recognize and separate the goal of procedural "pattern" from procedural "response to light".

LuxRender introduces (at least tries to introduce) an absolutely realistic response to light. It is not stylistic, not expressive, not open to interpretation, not illustrative. If you seek any of those things, do not use LuxRender.

But if you seek realism, pursue LuxRender, pursue Reality.

This is a very exciting time for Poser users.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)