Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Speaking of Poser Native Figures, SIGGRAPH News...

WandW opened this issue on Aug 03, 2012 · 286 posts

NanetteTredoux posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 1:44 AM

I think having Tyler and Miki 4 as re-sculpts rather than new base figures makes an important point - the potential was always there in the mesh, but it needed special artistry to release it.

So Poser users have a hefty shopping list now - if you don't already have it, it seems Zbrush may be on that list.  $699 for the single user licence. Poser Pro 2012 is now $500 if you are a first-time buyer. Zbrush is more expensive than Poser. I expect some people will be motivated to upgrade their version of Poser - will the plug-in architecture be in Poser Pro only or also in Poser 9? Will there be a special offer on Zbrush for Poser users? This is beyond Smith Micro's control I suppose, but it would make the Poser users very happy. Several people already seem to have Zbrush and may just need to upgrade.

Also Reality - not sure how that will be priced. Reality 2 for Daz Studio is just under $48 now. I expect the new version will be a bit more.

And then there are the new morphs - Tyler and Miki 4.

So people will be spending lots of money, and much (most?) of it will go to companies other than Smith Micro. Benefits to Smith Micro will only realise in the medium to long term, as the creators who have ZBrush make more morphs and they become available, making Poser and its native content more attractive. And also as people are motivated to upgrade their Poser. I think this is a very interesting strategy to adopt.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch