Forum: Animation

Subject: 16 by 9 ratio magic?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Jun 04, 2012 · 15 posts

rokket posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 6:51 PM

I do it the same. My workflow is a nightmare, but it works for me. I render to 1920x1080 image files, then I use GIMP if I am doing any post work. The completed image files are then loaded into VirtualDub and saved as an avi file. And both of those programs are open source, so they are free.

The cool thing about VirtualDub is that it works in both directions: you can convert image files to video, and convert a properly coded avi to image files. If you render to .png like I do, you can layer those files together in GIMP and have two animations working in sync with each other fairly seemlessly. It's because when you render to .png, only what you load in the scene is rendered. There is no background image. This is a time saver in that you only need to load any props or background images that your character is going to interact with. It's the same line of thinking as the old Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbara cartoon with the static background...

For sound, I have Reaper, which isn't free, but a license is only $60 for non commercial use, and it gives me full use of effects and an unlimited track count. I can even render those tracks to 7.1 surround if I am so inclined.

I comp all of this together in Magix Movie Edit Pro 16, which is fairly cheap (I can't vouch for the price you would pay ordering online as I got it at the military discounted price through the Navy Exchange), but extremely powerful. You have a full range of video effects there too, such as chroma keying and transition effects. It was designed to let people make somewhat professional movies from their camcorder outings...

I never render to avi from Poser. I did that back when I first started, but the long render times and the pixilization that resulted made me look for an alterative method.

This works for the talk designer too. All you have to do is sync up the original soundtrack with your render in your video software and your in.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.