Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

Pret-a-3D opened this issue on May 14, 2012 · 8453 posts

erik-nl posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 2:44 PM

Quote - I wouldn't call either of those 'cheap', but I do have a certain interest in your workflow. I was in drafting/autocad for about 8 years (on now antiquated software) and found it much easier than current day modeling apps. Is this where inventor mixes both pedigrees together? 

Not really, no.

I still (have to) use AutoCAD from time to time, and I thoroughly hate it to be honest.

Autodesk has a habit of buying out exeptionally good products they could never ever create themselves, and occasionally they don't kill them instantly or in due time. Inventor seems to be fortunate in this respect. But because of its history it doesn't share any roots with other Autodesk products.

I loved its 3D modeling interface from the first day on, what a relief that was after earlier 3D engineering tools we worked with. I have to say its drafting module (that you probably wouldn't use anyway) is not nearly as sophisticated, that's one of the reasons why AutoCAD is still in use today.

As I mentioned before I think Inventor is MUCH easier to learn than the 3D mesh editors I know, but even in my mechanical engineering work I only use perhaps half of what Inventor is capable of, and maybe not even that much. Learning ALL of it is a different matter! But that also goes for Photoshop and similarly powerful software tools.

Cheers!