Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Bagginsbill's Sketchbook

bagginsbill opened this issue on Jul 30, 2012 · 130 posts

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 7:35 AM

Quote - > Quote - I've always considered colour perception to be fairly relative...

As I understand it, biologically males and females perceive colours differently.. for starters.

Hmmm... citation needed there... googles aha, here you go...

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2007/07/14/do-women-perceive-color-differ-3/

Well... reading that, there seems to be some evidence of biological variations in colour perception?

😉

My concern about color classification is not about relative color perception, or even about differences amongst various humans, although I recognize these as factors.

I'm thinking more about simple classification systems, as an aid to finding the color you want.

For example, I have attempted, via math, to classify my colors into the following broad color categories:

A) Achromatic

B) Blue

C) Cyan

G) Green

M) Magenta

O) Orange (and browns)

R) Red

Y) Yellow

I based the classification on the traditional "hue" angle, as used in an HSV color picker.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I found olive green classified as yellow. To me it's not even close to yellow - it's absolutely green. But in terms of hue measurement, it's solidly in the yellow band. (My solution was to nudge the color a bit out of the yellow band, so that the classifier would agree with me, rather than update the classifier and risk moving other colors around. It's a big job to re-build the thumbnails.)

This led me to investigate color perception. I found this interesting researching that confirmed my personal observation. As a color gets darker, whatever green is in it becomes more emphasized.

http://www.uv.es/psicologica/articulos1.04/2-LILLO.pdf

I want to emphasize that I'm not picking these colors on the basis of some abstract desire for even use of the color wheel. I've made no such attempt. I selected colors I like and find useful and avoided a good chunk of colors (pinks) that I just don't think are that commonly needed.

tink pink?
nail shlaq

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff