Forum: Bryce

Subject: How to Import Images for Use as Decals

Agent0013 opened this issue on Aug 03, 2012 · 45 posts

FranOnTheEdge posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 3:04 PM

Quote - Fran, in response to your statement " Not sure what you mean by: "if I reassemble the UV mapped parts and then convert to a mesh," I will explain. When one creates a model from several booleaned shapes and then groups them it is a type of assembly. In the case of Bryce When a negative boolean intersects a positive one and is grouped with it the negative one cuts out the area of the positive that it occupies. That is one type of assembly that is possible. You can also group neutral shapes and even do intersections of shapes with the grouping feature. 

Now once a series of shapes are grouped, a small icon box with a C in it appears.

Yes, I know how Bryce does boolean, I've been using Bryce for many years now.  I think it was just the way you used the phrase 'convert to a mesh' so close to 'UVMapped parts'  it made it sound that you might not have realised that even a booleaned object is still a mesh.  Just a problem in understanding what the other person typing, meant.

Lol - maybe it's not just 'people separated by a common tongue' but the lack of body language generated by a keyboard... or not!

Quote - So what I am actually saying is that after I create the model and save the separate parts to my objects library, I would export them to a UV Mapping capable program, do the UV Mapping, save the parts as .obj, import them back into Bryce, reassemble the model with the UV Mapped surfaces applied, and finally click the C icon to convert the model to a mesh. If you prefer the word collapse instead, then that's what I mean.

I don't mind, convert or collapse - whatever.  I guess because I model mostly in Wings3D I'm used to selecting individial groups of faces and applying a different material to various different parts - all on a single model.  Instead of Mapping each part of an intended boolean mesh prior to merging them together via various boolean operations and 'C'onvert.  Everyone has their own way of working. 

Also... I don't know if it happens in the current version of Bryce (because I find Wings easier than Bryce to model in, so I don't often model in Bryce) but I seem to remember that sometimes the wrong boolean material would end up on some of the faces during a boolean operation - which I found agravating. But my memory could be wrong - or it could have been a fault of an earlier Bryce version, 4 or 5 or something.  So that problem might now be fixed in Bryce 7.

Your method of going back and forth between Bryce and UVMapping just sounded a little over complex to me, involving extra work, which is why I suggested another way... but like I said, each to their own.

Good luck.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com