Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Help with brick shader

lesbentley opened this issue on Aug 19, 2012 ยท 15 posts

bagginsbill posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:03 PM

Quote - But I still can't figure out how to link the strength of the Bump to the Math node. Is that even possible?

It is possible but wrong.

The depth of a brick remains the same no matter how many you need.

You're changing the scale of the brick pattern so you can make more bricks on a larger prop, and less bricks on a smaller prop. That's all you're doing - because you need more or fewer bricks.

But regardless of how many you need, the depth of the mortar should be, and already is, the same everywhere. Therefore, you have it backwards. You do not want to alter the bump depth. You want it the same.

The only problem you had with bump was that you tied it to color. In my arrangement, the brick node's color is 0 to 1, always. It therefore produces a consistent height when used as a height field, either for bump or displacement.

Notice also that I used black (0) for mortar, white (1) for brick.

This makes things more sensible. The brick is raised. The brick needs a greater height. A height map uses white (1) to indicate the highest point. It uses black (0) to indicate the lowest point.

By setting my brick node up consistent with a height map, I don't have to work with negative multipliers.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)