Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I found a model better than V4. Only $999...

operaguy opened this issue on Sep 01, 2012 · 87 posts

Teyon posted Sun, 02 September 2012 at 12:05 AM

Quote - Hmmm, so if 100 people were to purchase this item that would be $100,000 minus turbosquid's commission ( fine art gallery cuts are 40% or more unless you're an extremely heavy hitter)... are you serious or just exhibiting some kind of warped perspective snobbery here? Of course, I wonder if 100 people will purchase this item, but still. I don't care if the guy worked on this model for a year, that's still a PRETTY fancy income for a 3D model. No intention of insulting anyone here, as a caveat.

Consider that the model can be used for anything. ANYTHING. From advertisements to crowd elements to being sculpted into a body double for an actor in a feature film. The artist would need to reap some benefit, as they'd be giving up any rights to the character and any royalties. It's more than just a model that's being sold. It's a product, it's a symbol, it's a spokesperson. The uses of a character are huge.

You're telling me you'd be fine with someone just summing up  a month of your work - 160 hours (assuming you work 8 hour days) into a $40 item that may or may not sell at all amongst all the other items on sale at the digital outlet you're using? You're fine with that? Because it was a hard pill for me to swallow.

The minimum wage here in NYC is $7.25/Hour, that's about $1,160 a month before taxes. Doesn't include the cost of the hardware and software needed to make the product (and anyone who has ever done freelance should know you charge for that stuff). So even if he were to sell just one copy of the character he'd not recoup the bare minimum he should, let alone a fair price.  Don't get me started. The Poser user base has got it good. Revel in it.