Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I found a model better than V4. Only $999...

operaguy opened this issue on Sep 01, 2012 · 87 posts

Teyon posted Sun, 02 September 2012 at 3:41 AM

By "You" I didn't mean you specifically (though it clearly appeared that way - sorry), I meant "you" as in the general sense. Sort of like "we" but without me included. :D 

I am considered a pro in the field but the only reason I'm able to survive making Poser content is because Smith Micro is my employer. If I were freelancing or making content on my own for a living, I wouldn't survive in NYC because the money from each sale would have to last to the next sale and if my brief time as a solo content creator is any sign, after the first week or two, you're lucky to make money on an original character. I'd end up being forced into clothing creation and if I had any hope at all of selling, it'd have to be for the more popular figures - regardless of my opinion on them. 

I don't mean to derail the thread into a lamentation on the struggles of a content creator I just think that when it comes to making products, you price to your market. Poser's crowd are in the $50 and under range from what I've seen, while the "pro" market are more likely to spend a few hundred on a fully rigged, fully morphed, character that's ready to be used in a Max/Maya/XSI/Houdini scene during crunch time - which is likely the only time characters like this would be bought because most studios have in-house artists. So yeah, very few potential sales means you have to get the most money you can from each sale if it is your only source of income. Hence the higher price point.

As for the character, the more I look at her, the less I like her face. I like her expressions, just ...something about her face seems odd.