Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: If you can't say something nice...

basicwiz opened this issue on Aug 30, 2012 · 134 posts

lmckenzie posted Fri, 14 September 2012 at 3:10 AM

"I do tend to think we're moving in the direction of tolerance and inclusiveness, and we're doing it at a rather astonishing speed."

Maybe it's my own cynical perspective or as they say, location, location, location. Currently, the US is sharply divided )IMO) along patrisan lines and tolerance between the two sides is in shor supply. No doubt the more extreme voices have an outsized vocal presence, but the internet has certainly magnified them. The nutcases now have a global soapbox.

In theory, enabling different people to congregate would have a positive effect. Unfortunately, modern technology also enables greater isolation. As an example, the whole country used to get their news from a few major outlets. Now people can self select to only get the 'information' that reinforces their own ideological prejudices. Neo Nazis and other assorted crazies who were once isolated can now congretate and reach a large audience. Like every other technology, it gets used for good or ill. I hope your vision wins out but my experience of human nature doesn't make me optimistic :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken