Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: 'Point at' along only 1 axis?

Ahkreeah opened this issue on Oct 16, 2012 · 11 posts

lesbentley posted Tue, 16 October 2012 at 5:37 PM

> Quote - YAY ! Finally working billboard trees ! > > Many thanks, lesbentley.

I imagine it will probably work fairly well for something like billboard trees, where the yAxis of the props can stay aligned with the yAxis of the camera.

When starting to investigate this problem, the first thing I tried was to delete the xrot and zrot channels from a prop, but even without the xrot and zrot channels the prop would still twist on the x and z axes when Point At was used. So there seems to be no way to limit 'Point At' to one axis.

In the image above there is an instance the same prop parented to the rHand of each figure. Each prop has had my SlaveToYaw applied to it. Each prop has a yRotation of 53°, which is the same value as the yOrbit of the Main Camera.

The yAxis of the lower prop is approximately parallel with the yAxis of the Main Camera, and thus the prop is pointing approximately towards the camera. The upper prop has had its yAxis carried far from alignment with that of the camera by virtue of being parented to the hand and being  carried up and around by rotation of the right shoulder. Both props have the same yRotation as the camera, but both props point in very different directions. This is the same sort of problem you would get with a Light-saber.

So, on the face of it, neither Point At nor ERC seem to provide an adequate solution for the Light-saber problem. I have not given up quite yet though.