Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: (OT) Need input on a computer quote I received

Acadia opened this issue on Oct 26, 2012 · 19 posts

Blackhearted posted Fri, 26 October 2012 at 4:34 PM

Quote - Just fyi, a gpu on newegg (or any part) should not have a discrenpency of over 20$ to the american site. This is either a grave oversight or a milking tactic given that CAD is within 5 cents of parity for the past several months. The quote seems right for a prebuilt from tiger. The system is good, the gpu is a little weak (infact the gpu on the 3770 I7 integrated graphics will only be around 40% slower then a 620 for anything besides gaming.)

the dollar has been at, near or over par for ages now and weve always paid roughly 10-50% more for everything here - and on top of that we get dinged with shipping and taxes whereas most of the stuff you order in the US from out of state comes with free shipping and no tax.

the US has a market 10x the size - competition is fierce.  Canadians get sleazy retailers that gouge us at every opportunity because they can. 

i buy as much as i can from ebay (and pray it doesnt get dinged for duties), or cross-border shopping trips.  in the meantime i try to console myself with the fact that we have free healthcare :(

if you think Canada has it bad, price some electronics or PC components in Europe. most are double the American price.

BTW Acadia i looked up the specs/reviews of that Thermaltake PSU you chose. it seems like a good PSU, however for the past couple decades Thermaltake has been pretty much producing cheap crap. so while the specs are good im not sure id spend >$250 on a TT PSU when there are solid choices from Corsair and Seasonic in that price range.