Forum: Photography

Subject: Photo community = dead on rendo... discuss

inshaala opened this issue on Nov 23, 2012 · 40 posts

TomDart posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 8:34 AM

Do 3DGuy, Bruce and Rich remember the times when there was much more of a learning environment on the forum?  I am sure you do.  Questions were asked or put out there and interesting threads developed.  A bunch of "pool tournament" photos where put up and some suggestions made to the photographer...a rather accomplished photographer today it appears.  That was fairly typical some years ago. There were "disposable camera" challenges and a decent number took part in those.  That was then. I enjoyed it and have truly developed my skills both through this forum and during the time I have been a member of Renderosity.   There were also incidents of feelings being hurt or "injustices" seen leading to some quite skilled members hitting the road.

Why are forums not so active as in previous years?  Yes, social media likely does affect it but that becomes so tiresome when an excellent image is posted and is hardly noticed amongst the tide of "got up sleepy today", "u off today?" and babble of all sorts. The photo forum here is specialized and more focused than social media and I am grateful for that. I would not think of posting my last two photos on Facebook out of a sense of dignity but did do that in my gallery here.  Yes, threads are down and some kinds of postings have all but disappeared...I honestly cannot say just why except it must in some way reflect the current population of photography membership and perhaps a concept of what the forum is for in the first place.   Lots of photographers are here who simply do not post, such as JenniSjoberg from Nov 28.   There was a time when newbies might have been more apt to post and ask techinical assistance. I am sure that help is still readily shared and many photogs here are qualified to help.  No newbie need avoid the forum because of being a "newbie"!  I believe you will find the company helpful and friendly.

As for me, l lost my "regular" job on New Year's Eve of 2010.  Boy, that was great timing to be told BYE right out of the blue.  So, I have several reasons I suppose for not posting so much or uploading many images...pushing to establish my own photo business is difficult in an ecomomy of finances and competiton when many photographers are going out of business, not into it.  Finding the best niche in the marketplace is not easy and I have fallen into three primary directions and am pretty good at each of those, spending time doing the work and developing me in that regard as something worth having on the team for contracted work.   Oh my...there is so much more marketing to do and that is a continuing work.   So, if and when I get to the forum I will likely reply...but visiting the forum is something I simply do not do as much as in the past.

As for those who worked so hard in the past to develop and encourage, my hat is off to you and I say "hurrah!" to you.  To the present cords and mods, I encourage you to keep it up in what is a somewhat different environment than ih past years, keeping the door open to all sorts of us with all sorts of skill levels...as you are doing now.  Maybe a sign is needed outside that open door saying, "come in and sit around the table for a little while.  Take some tea and lets get to know eachother better."   No one here whom I know is going to say your gallery is not good enough.  I will more likely say something like, "wow..what a wonderful landscape you have in Sicily. I haven't seen that in travel books", or I might ask Bruce if shooting a performer up close and personal during a rock concert is just as sweaty as a front row prize fight. How did you do that photo?  And if you ask, how could this photo be better, if I feel qualified to answer I will certainly do that.        Thomas (tomdart)

It is possible to use sitemail to encourage folks to visit the forum for some special challenge or event...evenso, it is their choice to look, post or disregard.

http://thomashaynes.zenfolio.com