Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: triangulation programs

fabiana opened this issue on Jan 18, 2013 · 101 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Fri, 25 January 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quote - maxxxmodelz I suspect this penchant for quads from the customers side has nothing to do how it subdivides or behaves in any other way. Instead it is the need for order and cleanliness for maintaining it over time. A finished model is not cast in stone in most cases it is changed and manipulated many time during its "life time". The UV maps, the material zones even the mesh itself is going to be fiddled with again and again. With quads you keep your sanity...

Yep, I understand that aspect of it as well; i've been modeling for the better part of 10 years now, and have had moments of lost sanity to be sure. ;)

I'm only pointing out there's a lot more going on in the world of modeling, and the need for various re-meshing and subdivision procedures, which includes various subdivision and surface tessellation techniques, including triangularization, is a reality that extends beyond simply cloth simulation.  Modeling a triangular truss structure for a modular housing unit, for example, that consists of triangle shapes on it's "skin" is a lot easier to accomplish if you can simply triangulate a primitive object, then inset/intrude those triangles, remove the faces, and add thickness to the resulting edges.

If your modeling app, for example, didn't allow you to remesh an object like this, then you'd probably spend some time having to cut edges manually, wich isn't keeping things parametric, and doesn't allow much efficiency.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.