Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

Pret-a-3D opened this issue on May 14, 2012 · 8453 posts

MBusch posted Thu, 07 February 2013 at 3:31 PM

Quote - OT another genuis move by DAZ. They put out a content manager the catch you have to re install ALL of your content. I never saved the uninstallers and i have close to 200G. God forbid they could of provided an existing content importer... I know Mikey won't like this....

Quote - I'm not going to reinstall anything. The old installers are fine and I really don't buy anything more at DAZ anyway. I have become a big fan of delivery via zipfiles. That is the easiest and most stable system. Zipfiles forever!

Don't let bad feelings damage yours good thinkings. DAZ was in your own right to redefine the Forum TOS and the EULA. We don't need agree with them, and for sure, they managed the changes very bad, but that is not something which should surprise anyone. Miscommunication had been a constant from DAZ.

Away from the business side, DAZ have made a lot of progress in areas where they are always faulty. The Documentation about DAZ Studio is better than one year ago. DAZ Studio 4.5 is very stable and functional. The new DSON format is a real evolution as format to hold our files and the most important step to make it interchangeable with other applications. Genesis is really a better figure than the venerable Generation 4, and now that it works in Poser, it will find a new space to grow and develop. You, Paolo, and Smith Micro, deserves a lot of credit for bring Genesis to Poser. We know that Reality needed a better framework than the ancient Python Scripting Language provided. In an indirect way you pavemented the road that turned Genesis an option in Poser, and I feel to many other developers who will use this new framework to bring us amazing plug-ins and utilities.

I really have an emotional feeling with Poser. I used every version since version 1.0, but ever so I have Poser Pro 2012 installed on my Mac I rarely use it. DAZ Studio is, to me, very fluid and more configurable. I wouldn't say never, but it is improbable that I return to use it. Maybe a little, while Reality 3 for DS is waiting your turn...

Anyway, the DIM (DAZ Install Manager) is a very nice utility. You don't need uninstall any content if you don't want to do it. This step is only necessary if you want give to DIM the knowledge of what it is installed. I choose this path as I wish to clean my content installation, but I am making this on product by product basis, with a new directory for the DIM installed content and my old installed content. The tool is very smart and works like a charm. You should give it a try before take assumptions. Just my opinion...