Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: After ten years of playing with Poser . . .

Tunesy opened this issue on Mar 05, 2013 ยท 29 posts

JoePublic posted Wed, 06 March 2013 at 1:46 AM

Well, to each its own, indeed. While I can draw reasonably well IRL, I never managed to get the foreshortening perfectly right without either tracing photographs or constructing helper lines. And the books I used to teach myself made it perfectly clear that a "real artist" must be able to create perfect foreshortening free-handed without any external aid. Everything else was just "cheating". So for years I produced drawings that were just not up to the standards I had set for myself. I needed to draw, but I hated that I couldn't do it as effortlessly as the folks in those books could do it. But then I discovered Poser 4 in 2000 and suddenly the bloody foreshortening was perfectly right no matter what I did. I could finally concentrate on my figures without constantly doubting myself or wasting time constructing stuff with a ruler. CGI also blended my "art" perfectly with my scale modelling skills. (I made some exhibition stuff for Revell and built prototypes from scratch for a few smaller companies. Building a physical model from scratch is a lost art now. Everything is done via CAD drawings nowadays. But the skills needed are the same, so I don't care whether I build stuff from polystyrol or polygons.) Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with Poser being able to do what it can do now. Can't even stand looking at the stuff I created in older versions of Poser because it's so wrong and full of errors it makes me sick. I'm usually very happy that I was born in '65 so I could grow up in the 70's where so many things were better and still real and not ruined by corporate greed. But I definitely wasted 20yrs of my live having to work with pencil and paper because back then computers just weren't good enough to do what they can do now. As I said, different strokes....