Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Supersuit Help from Rand

RandallLloyd opened this issue on Mar 06, 2013 · 152 posts

RandallLloyd posted Wed, 27 March 2013 at 11:09 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Hi, I have another question about episode 5. What is the right way to save a "complete preset"? I tried saving as a Wearable Preset, but that creates a new suit when you apply it. I can't figure out how to same something that applies both shape and materials to an existing suit. Thanks.

Character Preset saves both Shape & Material presets together :)

Thanks for the hint. I tried character preset now. I selected the supersuit and chose Save As -> Character Preset. But the icon that is created is labeled "Wardrobe". When I later select the supersuit and apply my saved preset, it pops up a window to ask if I want to load a new figure or apply the character to the currently selected figure. When I apply one of the complete presets that came with the supersuit product, it doesn't do that. Am I doing something wrong?

THe problem is that the Supersuit is not normal clothing. It walks a razor fine line between clothing and character.  In some respects it is thoght of as character and in some its clothing.  

Whenever I make a new design, I save it many ways for the most utility.

Wearbles will save everything genesis is wearing at once so you could apply it to a bare genesis and have clothing , hair, props and more in one easy step

Complete Presets (Character Presets) this will apply both the shape and Material settings to a suit already loaded in your scene. Depending on your interface settings, you may or may not get asked if you want to replace or add to the current supersuit.  either is fine and takes the same amount of time.

Shaping Presets apply only the SHAPE of the suit and do not change any of the surface materials.

Material Presets apply only the texture and surfaces without changing the current shape.

Shader presets will only save the characteristics of an individual selected surface

Here is my process to save presets

1. Make sure you are using the latest DAZ Studio release if possible.

2. Select the supersuit

3. If you have used the supersuit boots, belt or cape, make sure that they are parented

4. Make sure all your cusom texture resources are in a logical place. A personal folder in Runtimes>Textures>  would be best.  *If you move anything in this step, you will have to reload the textures onto your figure before saving.  Do not forget that shader presets use textures too.  You do not need to move anything that came with the supersuit, only something you made yourself.

4. Select Genesis, Save As>Wearables Preset. Use a separate folder for only Wearbles Presets.

6. Save As>Character Preset. Use a separate folder for only Complete Presets. leave the defaults checked and hit OK

7. Save as>Material Preset. Use a separate folder for only Material Presets once again leave the defaults (which should be the whole suit.)

8. Save as>Shaping Preset. Use a separate folder for only Shaping Presets

10. If you have used the Belt, select it and Save As>Character Preset in a Belt folder

11. If you have used the Boots, select them and Save As>Character Preset in a Boots folder... separate by male/female

12. If you have used the Cape, select it and Save As>Character Preset in a Cape folder

13. If you have made a custom shader preset, click on a surface containing that shader with the suface selection tool and Save As>Shader Preset in a Shaders folder. 

Hope that helps
Rand