Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: My first ever OT post -It's about radioactivity and jewellery

estherau opened this issue on Apr 23, 2013 · 54 posts

Morkonan posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 1:48 AM

Quote - you probably won't know the answer to this and I can't seem to find out on google.

When i was at a market chinese shop, I bought a necklace for my little girl for her birthday coming up soon...Does anyone know if they really make jewelry out of polonium?  Isn't that dangerous.  Polonium gives off gamma radiation (ie the worst radiation)

It probably wasn't polonium... That's deadly when ingested or inhaled, but the radiation from it will not penetrate the skin. There are also small amounts of polonium detectable in certain fertililzers, particularly used by tobacco growers... Insult to injury. (Remember, several people have been claimed to have been assassinated by covert elements using polonium to poison them.)

However, be warned - Chinese jewellry manufacturers have been caught using toxic metals in fashion jewellry because they're extremely cheap. Several store chains have had to remove items, including jewellry lines made exclusively for children.

If it were me, considering the source, I would take it to a professional jeweller and see if there are any non-destructive tests they can perform. (For instance, spectroscopy or mass/volume ratios may help identify the composition without harming the item.)