Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Pet Peeve: DO NOT Put Runtimes Inside Your Own Name Folders

paganeagle2001 opened this issue on May 05, 2013 ยท 24 posts

bagginsbill posted Sun, 05 May 2013 at 9:26 AM

When you want the whole thing as a separate external runtime, they do install correctly.

I understand what you're saying, but in my opinion, one is a fool if one merges a zip file with existing content. Given that I always want to unzip in a test folder first before deciding to merge, the named parent of "runtime" is a big help to me.

If, instead, it just starts with "runtime", then before I can unzip to a test folder, I have to make the test folder. When people include the parent folder for me, I find that a great convenience. Again, I would never ever blindly pollute my carefully curated runtimes with content from a zip. So this kind of zip is a pleasure to me.

For those that do want to go ahead and merge - nothing stopping you from drilling down to the runtime folder and drag that out. (At least on a PC - on Mac you have bigger problems.)

And if you're having trouble with a runtime unzipping installer, such as the install-from-zip option built into Poser, the correction should lie with that bit of software. How hard is it to poke around inside and see whether the "runtime" is top level or one below?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)