Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: dynamic clothing with stiff elements

lookoo opened this issue on Jun 01, 2013 · 12 posts

aRtBee posted Sun, 02 June 2013 at 6:28 AM

okay, one step at a time, I'm thinking with you.

The rigid objects havig dynamic cloth at the ends are similar to a pole with a flag attached. Each piece with fringes becomes a clothified object, entirely put into its own main dynamic group, except for a few top rows of vertices which are put in a Constrained group which means that these vertices follow the movements of the rigid objects they are constrained to. See my Covering Up tutorial halfway, about the Finish Flag.

The shoulder strap is more of an issue, because if yu do the same as the fringes, the strap is meant to follow the movements of the rigid objects. If you're happy to do it that way, all is fine but the strap will tend to loosen while moving. In real life things are the other way: the rigid objects follow the movements (stretches, bends, etc) or the strap while putting a weight the the ends. Poser doen't know about weights - except for clothified elements, and I disadvice very much against clothifying the bow itself :-).

So - by heart - I would try using an intermediate object, a rod (cylinder) with each end attached to an end of the strap.

1. the rod is visible to the camera but invisible to render. Note: Cloth Room skips everything which is invisible to the camera (but deals with voids when the have a fully transparant material, and does not now about rendering).

2. the rod is clothified and makes one sim with the strap, and is assigned extremely stiff cloth parameters (as it represents a rigid object), and a density which makes it match the bow etc. Note: the rod will collapse in due time it's cloth after all), but the construct might hold long enough to get the animation done.

3. the bow itself is parented to the rod

When simming now, the strap/rod moves properly to some extent. The bow follows the rod closely, and the fringes (which can be in a second sim) will follow the bow.

So yes it can be done, the magic is in separating the bow and the strap with some kind of construct to make a rigid object follow something clothified as Cloth Room only support things the other way around. For now I leave it up to you to make up something, we can rainstorm further after some experiences in this situation.

have fun (I like to do bows in my animations sometime later, so I'm learning from this too).

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though