Forum: Freestuff

Subject: the Dawn of a new day...

HiveWire3D opened this issue on Jun 19, 2013 · 4422 posts

RedPhantom posted Sat, 29 June 2013 at 7:16 PM Site Admin

Quote - If you model the skullcap tilted back 30 degrees, Poser's dynamic hair will naturally fall back, away from the face.  This can greatly simplify styling. 

Can't you just tip the model's head back? Then you back in the morph.

Quote - The skullcap should fit just inside Dawn's head.  Poser ignores the first part of the hair strand for dynamic calculations, and having the skullcap inside the head makes the hair appear to be growing naturally out of the scalp.  You can use a painted skullcap as well, if you wish.

Poser doesn't ignore the root, you need to turn off root softness in the material room.

Dynamic hair skullcaps should be relatively low-res.  I think the original Poser 5 skullcaps were something like 2000 polys, and some skullcaps out there are two or three times that. That was way too much.  Poser choked trying to run the sims.

Poser 6, they went down to 200 polys per skullcap, and that worked a lot better.  There have been some changes in the Hair Room since then, and there should probably be more than 200 polys now.  But I'd guess skullcaps should still be less than 1000 polys.

I'd like a band of higher density mesh along the hairline: along the forehead and temples.  The part of the hair where you see the roots.  That way, you could have higher density hair where it counts.  Avoid that "doll hair" look without having to increase hair density all over the scalp.

Some setting options can make different resolutions look different when the setting is the same. Better option is to have a low and hi res caps (maybe a medium one too) and use the one that works with the style.

I do agree that more that 2000 poly is way too high. My high res caps are just over 1000 and that's plenty. When I can get away with it I use a lower one, but sometime you need the high res ones.

Quote - Other ideas: groups to make it easy to style hair (though people disagree about how many and what groups are best), separate skullcaps for hair that will be styled vs. hair that will be all dynamic simulation, maybe the option of two or three skullcaps that can be used together, one inside the other (because you might need more hair density for some situations than others).

I use different groups on practically every hair style. I want to have set groups that load with the cap, but it never seems to work that way. And it's not hard to make the groups.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10