Forum: Freestuff

Subject: the Dawn of a new day...

HiveWire3D opened this issue on Jun 19, 2013 ยท 4422 posts

mmalbert posted Tue, 02 July 2013 at 3:02 PM

Another DS-only user here, and I'm working with Gen4 figures and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I'd love a return to the general cross-platform compatibility that existed before Genesis. I know some things -- dynamics, shaders -- don't translate from one to the other, but as long as I could get most of what I bought to work in DS, I was good to go.

I use texture/clothing converters and make my own materials from Poser-specific products, so the minor obstacles of compatibility or obsolescence were never much of an issue for me. But I was as frustrated and disappointed as many Poser users when several of my favorite vendors began creating clothing and hair (and even props!) that I could not use and could not even get into a converter.

Anyway, it would be lovely if I could use my existing Gen4 content with the newer figure(s), but I'm not expecting miracles.

Lots of morph capabilities -- and a commitment to a male figure -- will get me to buy content. I make my own characters, so the only draw for me of texture sets is the skin and its options. A half dozen pretty white girls with lots of make up will meet my needs. After that, I get picky about what I buy.

I wasn't interested in the other non-V4 female figures because they offered no advantages for me over V4, with all her readily available morphs, fixes, and overall content. Even more so when there was a male figure (and kids) to go with her, and with pretty much the same morph product support.

If one primarily creates sexy pin-ups, cute fairies, or some types of fanart, there's an advantage to using different female figures. If one is building worlds and populating them, then the advantage tilts more toward figure(s) with the widest variety of characters, morphs, hair, and clothing. Yes, I could also still use an Antonia or a My Michelle, but if I already have a female figure that meets my particular needs, I have little incentive to spend more money or time on any others.

So if the Dawn figure can provide similar versatility (eventually!) while improving on V4's admittedly older mesh, and Hivewire can also give me other figures to populate my worlds, then I will spend money.

I tend to buy practical clothing for both genders and mostly use contemporary clothing. But I'm also interested in SF and fantasy clothing -- I love Xurge's sets -- steampunk, military-ish uniforms of any era or genre, faux-fantasy historical clothing, and realistic historical clothing, as long as it isn't the skimpy stuff.

Or at least it has something I can use despite the skimpy stuff; I'm willing to do a little kit-bashing to get what I want. If the chainmail bikini comes with a fantastic set of boots, I'll consider buying the product just for the boots.

My freebies page has moved: RedEyeCat