Forum: Freestuff

Subject: the Dawn of a new day...

HiveWire3D opened this issue on Jun 19, 2013 ยท 4422 posts

bagginsbill posted Wed, 10 July 2013 at 3:20 PM

No lights - lighting is entirely from an HDR image mounted on my EnvSphere. The conflicting specular reflections that are a burned-in part of the color map are now pretty glaring. There are soft reflections of the environment in the skin, but also reflections of the studio in which the reference photos were taken. Together they create a subtle wrongness, even though overall this is a pretty good render.

I like the figure a lot though. This is a pretty subtle facial expression.

If I had a proper specular map, I'd use it to modulate the shine - the nose and forehead should give more bright and sharp reflection than the other areas of skin. The map does not need speckles and such in it - it needs broad sweeps of values that indicate how much oil is on the skin. I would use it to modulate the Blinn eccentricity and the reflection value.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)