Forum: Freestuff

Subject: the Dawn of a new day...

HiveWire3D opened this issue on Jun 19, 2013 · 4422 posts

bagginsbill posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 2:34 PM

Quote - > Quote - I dont know enough about DS to say for sure, but I cant see how the textures would need to made differently.  Especially for something simple like cloth.  recreating the shaders is one thing, but I would expect the lions share of colour, bump, displacement and specular maps would be the same.  Perhaps DS may require you to bake in certain things if its shader system cant replicate the same effects as poser or vice versa... I would hope that would be the exception rather than the rule though...

like I said though, I dont know that much about DS yet

I think bump maps are handled differently.  Studio, a value of 0 is the largest negative bump, 128 is normal, and 255 is the largest positive bump.  Poser 0 is normal and 255 is the largest positive bump.  Unless this has changed recently.

So a poser map would not work as expected in studio, and vice a versa.  A poser map could be altered in photoshop easily to work in studio, but a studio map that used the negative bump would not convert to poser.

I believe that this applies to displacement as well, but I'm not sure.

ncamp

You're not a fan of my 10,000 posts explaining how to use bump and displacement maps in poser properly? (Math Node:Subtract .5)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)