Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Dawn is "Live"

basicwiz opened this issue on Aug 09, 2013 · 265 posts

AmbientShade posted Fri, 09 August 2013 at 4:53 PM

Quote - > Quote - Wish Roxie had that support.

I wish many other figures had this kind of support from Rendo. I've never seen Rendo so active in promoting something that isn't their own or any other figure at all. I guess being famous helps promoting your figure, it's the same as always..... Rendo promotes the big names who really don't need all that over the top extra attention at all and let's the little guys drown, no matter how good their stuff is. The good thing is that finally poser may get a figure that has enough support, the bad thing is that other good figures will suffer because of this.

Anyway.... I've got Dawn, played with her for a little while and I didn't see anything that utterly impressed me at all, she's just another Vicky but this time not made by DAZ. I've been more impressed by other much more original and creative figures in my runtime. I'm sure she will do well, since she's just a rebranded Vicky with a different name. For me I don't see the need for a new vicky-like figure at all, spending lot's of money in items for her if she's too close to what I've got already. I'm sure that DAZ isn't happy with this though and that Rendo (and others) finally can draw back (some of) the poser audience that left over the years. I've had a few minutes of rendering fun with Dawn, hope others will enjoy here much longer then I did.

I agree. I've followed the Dawn threads as a lurker, loosely while doing other things, waiting to see something impressive with her. 

Still waiting. 

So far I've seen nothing that suggests she utilizes Poser's built-in features to any degree beyond some basic weightmapping, and I do mean basic. Where are the muscle/tendon flexes, twists, bulges, etc?  Where are the animated joint centers and scaling features? If Dawn is truly a figure built to utilize all of Poser's latest features, then why aren't we seeing examples of the infant Dawn, the toddler Dawn, the she-wolf Dawn, the teenage Dawn, the world's fattest woman Dawn, etc? 

Also haven't seen any evidence that her creators have actually studied the human form and proportions and how they relate/are interpreted in 3D. The base figure is pretty damned ugly and doesn't even look human without her skin paint, and whats up with that man chin?

Not trying to throw insults but so far V4 is still a more attractive and complete figure. Comparing her to V5 isn't even relative. V5 looks very human without skin. Even P6 Jessie looks more human without skin.

And yeah, I know her original creator is a somewhat famous painter - if you're into jesus paintings - but being able to paint/draw a believable human isn't even in the same ball park as being able to model/sculpt a believable 3D human. The fact they were involved in the design of previous V+ incarnations makes it even worse. They should know what they're doing in terms of anatomical correctness by now.

Then there is the (possible) issue with DAZ and former DAZ employees, and possible legal ramifications, that I haven't seen anyone bring up or question yet. Maybe they don't exist, but if they do, it's quite possible DAZ could pull the plug on Dawn if they view her as a threat. We're talking about former DAZ employees who worked on previous DAZ figures - some of whom seem disgruntled.  

Unless DAZ is somehow connected to Dawn's development behind the scenes - which I suspect is actually the case, though no one will ever actually admit as much even when asked point-blank - otherwise, DAZ may be able to persue legal action depending on what sort of contract agreements and competition clauses that exist that the majority may know nothing about. (Former employees/partners often face legal issues when trying to branch off and form their own competing product(s).

Maybe all of that is just hyper speculation, but its something to keep in mind before dumping a bunch of money and time on another figure that may wind up facing the same fate as old Renda did.

Yes, I'm very critical. Can't help it, I'm a Libra, it's my nature ;-)

Still, if all goes well, I'll probably support her, but purely for selfish reasons.

~Shane