Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Making a new Female Base Model? Don't want to disappoint? Checklist.

Photopium opened this issue on Aug 11, 2013 ยท 494 posts

ghonma posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 12:18 AM

Here's my list:

. Come with at least an attempt at decent topology. No, you don't need hard cuts for every thing in your mesh, that just makes it a nightmare to morph into shapes that are significantly different then the default. No you don't need to add thousands of polys just to round out some forms, that's what SubDs are for. And if you really can't survive without tris, at least put them in out of the way places, not smack in the middle of high deform areas like the cheek, knee or shoulder.

. Have a decent base texture. No I don't expect a really high end 8k texture that takes a month to paint, but how about taking a little time to do some basic leveling and painting out some of the speculars and shadows. And if the only way you know how to do a bump/specular map is by desaturating the color map, please don't bother doing a separate file for it, do it in the mat room. No one is impressed by feature fluffing.

. Stop reinventing the god drat UV wheel. V4 UVs have a bunch of textures and are supported by Genesis as well. Stick to those so that I can use all the textures I have carefully bought over a number of years. That's an incentive for me to use your figure right there. If you force me to start over with all new textures i'm probably not gonna bother with your figure at all.

. How about some effort in actually doing a modern Poser figure, rather then just cursory nods in that direction. Poser right now has SubDs, SSS, IDL, weight mapping, decent dynamic cloth, can do texture resizing on the fly... Over the years many of us have modified workflows to take advantage of all this or are using software and content that gives us these features and we expect a new figure to work well in this environment. The days of everyone doing crap ass renders in firefly are long gone.