Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Making a new Female Base Model? Don't want to disappoint? Checklist.

Photopium opened this issue on Aug 11, 2013 · 494 posts

AmbientShade posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 2:32 PM

All valid points Dale.

I can also add to that list, medical reference for diagram and educational purposes. 3D modeling/animation in the medical field is actually a much larger portion of 3D than probably most people realise. Many jobs available there for modelers who understand anatomy, but it's not nearly as exciting a job as working on video games or films, so it tends to go unnoticed or ignored. 

This also pretty much makes the argument about "protecting children in schools from looking at naught bits" invalid due to the extreme push across the US and Canada, (and very likely many of the European countries), for more sex education in schools, starting as young as 1st grade. Much to the objection of many parents across the country of course, but that doesn't matter because parents don't have much of a say in it anymore (unless you can afford private schools), as governments and school boards are making more sex education mandatory and will continue to do so. Objecting to it for personal and/or religious beliefs/preferences/hang-ups won't make it go away.

I bring this up not to turn it into a political or religous debate or anything like that, just making the point because it's just as valid as all the others. If you want to learn more about sex education in schools and how it is changing, I suggest google. (Don't argue about it here tho, cause politics and religion aren't allowed). 

The point is though, because of this move to mandatory education on the subject, I'd think people who are more uncomfortable about the issue would rather their kids see computer generated images of all those parts verses the real deal. You can't teach anyone much of anything about the workings of anatomy when the parts aren't there to demonstrate.

As for those parts behaving properly under clothing, you do have to take into account the majority of the user base in Poser still use conforming clothing, because it's considered to be much easier for the end-user to work with, (pretty much just 2-click load and conform, no worries about how it drapes), even though they rarely produce the same quality end-result as dynamic clothing does. So concessions have to be made, and conforming a pair of pants to a model with dangly bits is pretty damned near impossible to get to work accurately. There are various ways to tackle the issue when designing a figure though, some more practical than others.

~Shane