Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Making a new Female Base Model? Don't want to disappoint? Checklist.

Photopium opened this issue on Aug 11, 2013 · 494 posts

erogenesis posted Fri, 16 August 2013 at 9:01 AM

meatSim:

"as for the hip pivot location...  I dont know..it seems to work fine with normal bending ranges. "

That's the thing, I'm not entirely sure IF it will be a problem. But it feels completely off.

Let me put it this way: after I downloaded Dawn, I tested her out like every one does by pulling around her limbs and dials. I went from top to bottom, starting with her head. All looked pretty decent until I moved the thigh. The camera was looking onto her right side as I rotated the left thigh upwards and had a good lateral view of the movement. I was surprised, there was something weird about the rotation. I immediately knew there was something wonky about the pivot and opened up the joint editor to see what was up.

The reason I could see it is probably because for the last YEAR I have been working intensively with the thighs. the reason they did it is probably because they wanted to reduce the shearing inbetween the thigh and the crotch. the closer the rotation point to the tangent, the less displacement. I guess it works, but its not exactly elegant. these things can be solved with WM and JCMs. So its a bit weird that they would opt for that... if that was their reason.

The only real problem I can forsee for now is with animations, you might be able to see what I saw that way much clearer.

BadKittehCo:

"There are several really nice third party figures out there already, with that purpose in mind. Why not join in on and support those efforts, trather then making another new one?"

I've already dumped two meshes in the process of developing this mesh. The reason is that editing re-editing an old mesh makes things confusing and  just end up with a Frankenstein. Plus, along the way I learn a lot about polygon flow and all that, and then I look at the shoulder and think, hmm, I might as well start over. That's one reason why I wouldn't wanna work on other people meshes. 

the other two reasons would be like what meatSim says, I have other requirements for the mesh, and the makers of the original mesh probably also have their ideas about what they want from the mesh. My ideas are pretty crazy, from what I've seen.

"you'll have copyright issues..."

Yep. I know their reputation. Understandable, but its their problem if they wanna be so anal about it. So what to so? I don't know, but I'll just steam ahead anyway. I'm kindof hoping that it can be solved with a script, that checks for the original V4. Then all the V4 centers will get copied. If you don't have V4, then you'll remain with project E's default joint centers, the difference being so minor that a visit to the fitting room will be brief. The UV's we'll have to see what I can get away with.

Whether i can pull that off, I don't know. 

"The fool is not the one that does something foolish, but the one that does nothing at all."