Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Upgrading from XP to Win 7

piccolo_909 opened this issue on Sep 08, 2013 · 13 posts

seachnasaigh posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 9:16 PM

UAC is a security feature.  Reconsider disabling it. Installing Poser to some location outside of program files is also popular;  but bear in mind that the executable will not be protected by UAC if it is outside of program files.  Any pimple-faced fourteen year old can then overwrite your Poser executable with his keylogger malware.

Having to lock my doors is annoying.  But it would be courting disaster not to do so.

Just install the Pythons to program files, and when UAC interrupts and asks for permission, tell it that yes, you do want to move/place these files there.

A lot of DAZ stuff can be installed to the shared docs library if you place a dummy "Poser.exe" file in the folder level above runtime.  I don't know about DSON or that maps convertor, though.

The bulk of your purchased content should go in the shared documents runtime, and UAC won't interfere with that location.  Your old scenes will work if you point Poser to that runtime (i.e., add that runtime to your library).

What version of Poser do you have?  If it is P8/Pro2010 or newer, it will by default put the library in shared documents.  If it is P7/PoserPro or earlier, then you may need to sacrifice a level of security and install P7 outside of program files.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5