Forum: Carrara

Subject: Should Daz Sell Carrara And, If Yes, Who Should It Sell It To?

dr_bernie opened this issue on Sep 27, 2013 ยท 70 posts

booksbydavid posted Mon, 30 September 2013 at 11:48 AM

I initially purchased Carrara (5) as a Poser substitute of sorts. I found Carrara easier to use and I really liked Carrara's ablility to generate landscapes, trees and volumetric effects as well as it's shader system dynamic hair. I've used Carrara almost exclusively until Poser Pro 2012 came out. I bought 2012 mostly to make use of its SSS abilities as well as the ability to use luxrender via Reality. Starting with PP2012, I've been going between Carrara and Poser for my work, choosing the software that better suited the render's purpose.

When PP2014 came out, I was most excited about the new Fitting Room. Between the fitting room and the morph tool (and also the included Wardrobe Wizard) I never have to worry about clothes fitting anybody again. There are other little things in the new Poser that are nice, but those are the ones that make the most difference to me.

If Carrara had even some of the features that Poser has developed that would be great. A real clothes fitting solution that works on any figure from any generation, improved SSS, improved (simplified) communication with luxrender (I realize this is a plugin and up to the developer, but it wouldn't hurt if was built in to Carrara), along with all the other little things we all want to see added/fixed would make Carrara much better than it is. I think focusing only on DAZcentric things like Genesis is more a detriment that a good thing.

My opinion only.