Forum: Carrara

Subject: The Ask Dr Stan Thread:

headwax. opened this issue on Oct 03, 2013 ยท 105 posts

manleystanley posted Thu, 03 October 2013 at 1:09 PM

I'll argue that point. Genesis is the inevetable next step in premade figures. Weightmapping has been around for quite a while, it is a step above because of the posing of figures, no straw elbows and such. Figures just look much better posed.

The problem comes from the issues with autofit, the aparent nesseity in the release version of carrara needing CMS to use Genesis, and DAZ's abandoning of genesis once they released it. Most that use genesis agree G2F is much better, addressing several issues with genesis. The only bad part of that is a PA, not DAZ had to give people an update to a better genesis.

Now I like the concept of genesis, yes it's nice to be able to use genesis in carrara. Is it an added value? Sorry, I am not paying some one for the right to buy their latest content. It amounts to having to pay to shop at walmart.

As it stands after going back to C8.1 from the C8.5 beta, it's not genesis I miss. After 2 years of doing the beta, genesis never really made it in to my work flow. I just couldn't depend on it or autofit. More often then not due to posing issues and illfiting clothes I'd have to drop G1 from my scene and work the mil4 figures in.

So no, an undeveloped/fixed genesis and a bugy autofit adds no value to C8.5 for me. I think DAZ banked far too much on that being C8.5s selling point.

Of coarse DAZ's inept maketing staff didn't help in the least. Hell, I know damned little about marketing but could have done a better job.

None the less Genesis/autofit has it's strong points as in one set of clothes can be a uniform for a small army of vastly different shaped genesisi. But that is only when these "features" work the way they should.