Forum: Carrara

Subject: Simple Features That Would Add Value To Carrara Without Exorbitant Costs...

dr_bernie opened this issue on Oct 05, 2013 · 38 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Mon, 07 October 2013 at 10:52 AM

Certainly, Carrara could be a highly respected, mid-range, all-purpose 3D application, with a few enhancements to some basic tools, and the addition of some other simple things, especially in the modeling module.

My first experience using Carrara will likely be my last, as I just couldn't find a justification to use the software in any kind of productive workflow over what I currently use.  That's not to say it's not a capable application, it just didn't have any features that I found useful enough to increase productivity.  Here's some easy things to add to the modeling module that might increase the overall value of the software to a lot of people:

More robust vertice/edge/poly selections.  For example, a simple "select similar" option would have come in very handy during my short time modeling in the software.  It's a simple feature, but extremely useful.  The ability to select polygons or edges, by certain topological similarities, is a feature most modern, capable modeling software have, but I couldnt' find it in Carrara.  It's something I use nearly every modeling session in 3dsmax and Maya.  In addition, a feature to automatically select all non quad faces, would be most handy.  Again, a common selection feature in most modeling apps that I didn't find in Carrara, even in the help documentation.

A polygon "Inset" command.  I mean, it has a dynamic extrusion tool, which is far more complex (although I found it awkward to control), but no simple inset tool?  Strange.  Insetting is probably one of the most useful tools in polygon modeling.  It's basically a bevel without extrusion.

A modeling symmetry tool.  This is one I couldn't believe wasn't in there, but I searched the docs and couldn't find it, so I'm assuming it isn't.  Modeling with symmetry is a must for any serious modeling work, and is a staple in most modeling apps I've used.  Very handy and productive feature.

There's quite a few more simple things, but I'll leave it up to the users.  Doesn't seem like modeling in Carrara is a priority, and I see why actually.  Perhaps, if there's no interest to improve it, then simply do away with the modeling module altogether, and free up the resources for the other main features you guys want most?

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.