Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Dawn's Impact on the Poserverse.

EClark1894 opened this issue on Oct 19, 2013 · 489 posts

Ken _Gilliland posted Mon, 04 November 2013 at 2:23 PM Online Now!

Quote - This is a nice gesture from them, but it hurts them financially. They do not see profits from content sold on other sites. Want to help them grow? Sell there. So you have to decide, help Hivewire, or help yourself:) Danger is if you keep helping yourself, there might not be a Hivewire left in the long run. At the same time it's a hard decision just selling there, because they haven't really been tested in the market. So it's really a choice you have to think about.

I took the risk and moved everything from my former publisher to Hivewire, knowing I'd probably take a hit financially for the next year.  I obviously didn't do the move for the money, I did it on principle. I had issues with how I and my products were being treated by marketing, and I decided that artistic freedom and having my wishes respected were more important than selling a few additional copies of a product.  I made the move to support Chris Creek (a longtime friend).  I also wanted to send a message to my former publisher that some artists don't appreciated being treated the way their marketing department was treating them (and some might do something about it).  I'm with Hivewire for the long term where my creativity isn't hampered by marketing and the management is upfront, friendly and honest.

To the thread's question... Has any healing occurred in the community thanks to Hivewire/Dawn? Yes and no... Hivewire has clearly spelled out that they are program agnostic and try to have versions for both programs in their store. People, for the most part, have tried to get along in the forums and until recently there has been no forum moderation at all-- forumites were well behaved.  Sadly, a few trolls and hackers recently have slammed their cudgels disrupting a perfect record.

The real problem with the division is that DAZ and Smith-Micro have competing products.  For those arguing that Smith-Micro isn't reaching out, remember that Poser is how Smith-Micro makes its money, not on content. DAZ Studio is a threat to Poser and not vice versa.  I don’t think there’s any easy solution to this, other than one of the two programs disappearing.  I would suggest the solution to the bridging the divide is not focusing on the way it was created but on the art that was produced.  It’s a similar issue with the Maya/Max/etc  universe Vs. the DAZ/Poser universe or even traditional art Vs. digital art.  It doesn’t whether you used the most expensive oils or canyons--  it’s the end result,... the art that counts.

Songbird ReMix