Forum: Carrara

Subject: Dear Dartanbeck

manleystanley opened this issue on Nov 02, 2013 · 55 posts

cjd posted Mon, 04 November 2013 at 4:54 PM

I recently had a discussion with over on the Daz forums about their EULA, specifically commercial use of 2d renders. It seems 2d renders are excluded from certain restrictions, such as redistribution. Not surprising. Commercial use of 2d renders allows people to earn a living by producing ads or animation.

But wait, they don't tell you that there are some uses that are restricted, and you will never know until you have done something you are not supposed to? Reading the EULA makes none of the statements I have recently been given.

One obvious thing you can't do with a 2d render is redistribute textures. That is covered by the EULA in another location.

So why would a company tell everyone that they can use 2d renders of their products commercially and then behind the scenes indicate that certain specific use is not permitted?

If they know what the use that is not permitted is, and it seems they do, otherwise they would not be able to say what it is, then why don't they put it in the EULA. I was told that there is certain usage that is not a logical inference from the EULA. This mean that they can essentially make up anything they wish if the EULA does not cover something.

How convenient.

You are ALL hereby warned. If you are selling your work produced with Daz products for ANY use, you will need to contact Daz for specific licensing. I am not posting this "over there" for obvious reasons.