Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Dawn's Impact on the Poserverse.

EClark1894 opened this issue on Oct 19, 2013 · 489 posts

Male_M3dia posted Tue, 05 November 2013 at 6:52 AM

Quote - I have to say one more thing. I've never been a big fan of one figure being able to morph into several others. That includes not only Genesis, but V4 as well. I didn't like it when V4 was able to morph into Stephanie 4, Aiko 4, The Girl 4, She Freak 4, and the V4 Male. Obviously she was the precursor for Genesis 1.

Not sure why the conversation keeps steering to genesis and DAZ, but if you look on Hivewire forums, Chris is also using Dawn's base to make a horse. Though I doubt you would get clothing to fit with the changed rigging, You probably do some interesting things with the morph between the two. I'm sure that's going to upset you too, but it's a bit more economical to reuse the mesh. I'm sure antonia, my michelle, and roxie could have benefitted if they all came from the same mesh and base rigging support-wise.

And that's really the advantage of making things from the same mesh; you can combine different things to make new creatures or characters and not worry as much about clothing support, which has been the downfall of all those aforementioned characters... and why they're barely mentioned now. And buying tools to convert skins and clothing is something that Genesis users take for granted when they use the different characters... which range from short aliens, Victoria, Mike to Mr Hyde and everything in between.

Quote - I find it interesting that Genesis 2 is a step backward for the "ultimate technology" figure.

Genesis 2 is a step back only in the fact that a lot of vendors had trouble envisioning gender-specific clothing from a neutral base. Also it was harder to model clothing with breasts on a figure with none. Nothing specifically wrong with the tech, but it was an inconvenience to some vendors. Now with the female base available, I'm sure you noticed a bit more vendors making things for V6, expecially a few that did not make anything for Gen1.

Also you probably noticed that the first staff bundle here was for V6, not V4 or Dawn... I'm sure they didn't do that just to be nice. Dawn was the last of the first batch of bundles, just to put things in perspective.

Quote - One of the big things I can't figure out is why vendors were so reluctant to include morphs in clothing for other morphs, more specifically, Stephanie 4. Most of the time I had to use a script to get V4 clothes to fit S4.

Providing fits for a single character's morphs is one of the most tedious things for a content maker to do. It takes a lot of time to create morphs for the different body morphs, like body buider or heavy; now add a different charcter such as S4. You're spending more time on fits than adding movement morphs and things to make the outfit more interesting. 

Quote - Thing is, I like figure diversity, and both Genesis and V4  genrally produce a certain "look" that let's you know that they are morphs of V4 or Genesis.  V4 is so distinct in her look to me that after a while I never bothered to buy any character morphs for her anymore.

If you're looking at rendo, I can understand the V4s and Genesis as a good chunk of the vendors are using the morphs++ to make the morphs rather than custom morphs. Then making the genesis version of morphs++ morphs using GenX (which really against the EULA as morph++ can't be used in GenX as a custom morph... you can only convert morphs for sale you actually own.)

But there are a few vendors that are making custom morphs that look nothing like the default V4 or making custom creatures. And there are a few vendors for Dawn that are making standout characters because they are using custom morphs rather than the starter morphs... and it's those vendors that will push the quality of the content forward.

Quote - I suspect Dawn will eventually follow suit and provide character morphs, but not everyone in the world is a six foot tall big boobed fashion model.

Well her base is being used for a horse and dragon.

Quote - I'm kind of pissed right now at SM because Poser 10's Roxie and Rex have borrowed from that paradigm. Both Roxie and Rex are great looking figures, but they have almost no morphing ability to change body type, and while you can change their facial type in the Face room, They didn't provide any african american  texture maps.

Generally any company is going to give you the most popular gender for the base and it's up to the content providers or yourself to build from that. So yes, it's not surprising everyone starts with the same type of characters. Characters of other races don't sell in the same volume though some demand those type of characters, that's why you don't see them as much.