Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Dawn's Impact on the Poserverse.

EClark1894 opened this issue on Oct 19, 2013 · 489 posts

hornet3d posted Tue, 05 November 2013 at 3:21 PM

Like others I believe figures and software are tools.  I use Poser 2014 because I prefer it to DS and I particularly like the Sub Surface Scattering and many aspects of the lighting.  As a Poser user it means Genesis is largely and non-starter for me. 

I did download Dawn but, at present, I don't use her.  The reason is quite simple, I have a tool that does what I want, V4WM, for me to use a new tool on a regular basis it has to do something the tools I already have can't do or be easier to use.  The fact that the tool I use at present is many years old has no impact. 

When I do wood working I use a plane I have used for more years than I care to remember.  When I work on my car I use a set of mechanics spanner I purchased over 25 years ago and the new sets look remarkably similar.  If they stop making spanners it won't affect me until I loose the ones I have or they break.

I would like to see software developers and vendors all make money but if they fail, will it really have an impact on me?  If I woke up tomorrow morning to find V4 is no longer supported what would I do?  Well for a start I could start looking at using the stuff I have purchased and never used, that should keep me busy for a couple of years at least.  After that, well all my content still works.

All of this means that I find all the talk of doom and demise of companies and figures to be rather un-important.

Having said all that, I will keep an eye on Dawn to see where she goes from here, very much in the same way I wander through my local tools store or surf the net looking for something better, better mind, not just new.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.