Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Dawn's Impact on the Poserverse.

EClark1894 opened this issue on Oct 19, 2013 · 489 posts

EClark1894 posted Tue, 05 November 2013 at 11:49 PM

Quote - To go back to the original subject of this thread, which is:  "Dawn's Impact on the Poserverse"---

Impact?  Very little, really.  And who could have expected anything different?  Anybody remember "Dina"... "Renda"... or maybe "Antonia"...?

Dawn seems likely to have just as much "impact" as those figures did-- i.e., very little, if any.

As for Smith Micro-- Look at its home web site.  SM is primarily a software company, and Poser is most likely the smallest and least lucrative of the programs in its repertoire.  Why should SM care all that much about a dying program it bought third-hand, after the original creator (Curious Labs) failed to make a "go" of it?

Don't get me wrong:  I started in Poser, and Poser is still my favorite program-- but if SM doesn't put some serious effort into upgrading Poser and making it compatiable with DAZ Studio, Poser is at risk of going the way of the thousands of other programs that have fallen by the wayside over the last couple of decades.

It would probably help if DAZ wasn't giving away it's software for free and trying to undermine Poser. If DS is so superior, compete fairly, head to head. Let the market decide. The fact is that Genesis is irrevocably tied to Studio. Even to get it into Poser, you have to first own Studio.

And don't get me wrong, the fact the Hivewire3D put Dawn out there confirms that this isn't the DAZ that Poser built, so they don't owe Poser any loyalty and they're not showing any.

If Poser did go under, I'm willing to bet that Studio wouldn't be free for much longer afterwards.

So yeah, I do think that Poser users  and yeah, even Studio users stand to benefit if Dawn catches on.