Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Dawn's Impact on the Poserverse.

EClark1894 opened this issue on Oct 19, 2013 · 489 posts

false1 posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 9:20 AM

Quote - Ouch.... a lot was stated there which wasn't deliver at all, but I don't see them saying they're going to end any wars where ever they may rage, although you could imply it.

After reading that again (it's been a long time since I've read that) I can safely say that Dawn didn't deliver at all, she not even close to as promoted. If they really had cashed in on those promises, wow, that would have been amazing. But all we did get was Dawn, no new era at all and for me the sun has set on her already and I keep on wishing :-)

Well they couldn't exactly say "We're coming out with yet another figure that people are destined to ignore" could they. If you can't show excitement for your product you're doomed out of the gate. As far as healing the "rift", who in their right mind believed that? Or cared? It's good old fashiond marketing hype, as American as apple pie. What's wrong with that?

I'll tell you where they did deliver. They built interest in the product, they released the base figure on time, they created a storefront to support it, they formed a team to handle different aspects of the business, they've made partnerships with the other major retail sites to put the product in front of customers and they've enticed well known and respected content creators to make product. These are all things that none of the other "contenders" ever did.

Sad but true, a lot of the time the quality of a product comes second to marketing, business plans and relationships. That part they did pretty well. Keep in mind that Bill Gates sold IBM an OS before he had even created it, at least HW has a product.

That said, Dawn has a long hard road in front of it. DS users don't need her, old school Poser users have created workflows around Vicky, and users of older versions of Poser can't use her. Dawn doesn't have to "win" right now, she has to survive. I can say without question however that Dawn has had a greater impact on the Poserverse so far than any of the previous 3rd party figures combined and is probably the best hope for a modern, supported, non-Daz figure going forward.

My DeviantArt Gallery

My Website