Forum: Carrara

Subject: Do CG Artists Develop Exaggerated Emotional Bonds With Their Favorite 3D App?...

dr_bernie opened this issue on Nov 09, 2013 · 15 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 9:03 PM

Go to the pro forums.  You see the same reactions on CGTalk or Polycount too.  Not to the same level, and usually the reactions are well educated, but most high end software has it's fanboys too, and those guys work for studios.  I was shocked at the level of fanboyism that was in the game studio I worked at for a few months.  If you had said that about Max there, they would have come at you with pitchforks and torches, it's true.  However, they would have crushed you with VALID points and well educated retort, and that's usually the difference I see between the fanboys in the high end, vs. the hobbyists who think they know what they are talking about.

I'll defend the software I use if I see someone saying bullcrap about it which isn't true, because false statements about a package can spread like wildfire, and people BELEIVE what they read unfortunately.  If you haven't used a package for years, you simply don't know what it's capable of, especially one as deep as Maya or Max.

I see misinformation is RAMPANT in many forums regarding all software, but in particular 3D software, because there seems to be a disproportionate amount of "experts" who want to become heros in 3D, but really don't know what the hell they are talking about.  It's easy to tell.  Just look at their body of work, if they have any.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.