Forum: Carrara

Subject: Octane Render Plugin for Carrara

DustRider opened this issue on Oct 27, 2013 · 60 posts

Fenric posted Thu, 14 November 2013 at 6:54 PM

I was speaking of the Carrara SDK, from teh point of view as a Carrara plugin developer.

The Embree "SDK" is not particularly polished, lacking even basic documentation.  The "tutorial" spends far more time on OpenGL than their render algorithms - I'm not impressed.  Business as usual for Intel, though: that's the way all of their stuff comes out.  I tried to use their math kernel library, once, and that was a nightmare.

I believe that one experienced developer as hypothesized, working full time on Carrara, WITH NOTHING ELSE TO DO, could probably do it in six months.

But I would put forward that there is no such person.  They've closed the bug tracker, so we can't inspect the tickets anymore, but I saw rather a lot of lengthy Eastern European names for a company whose only physical office is in Utah.  I'm really quite certain that DAZ has a pool of contractors at an outsourced company that get assigned to whatever project the management has given priority at that time.  If they have more than one or two permanent, full-time developers I would be utterly shocked.