Forum: Carrara

Subject: Octane Render Plugin for Carrara

DustRider opened this issue on Oct 27, 2013 · 60 posts

SciFiFunk posted Sun, 17 November 2013 at 4:37 PM

Good news on the GPU memory size front.

With one time effort you can set up MASSIVE scenes in carrara which fit into 4GB. I will be proving this shortly when I release episode 8 of sci fi funk, and you can pick up a  Gigabyte Nvidia GTX760 4GB DDR5 Triangle Cool PCI-E Graphics Card for not a lot (I won't quote a price as I'm in the UK and we pay way more for everything than you guys in the USA).

Most commercial models are very wasteful in object size, and for large scenes you can usually drop the medium range textures to 256x256 without noticing a fall off in quality. Far away objects don't even need textures half the time.

Ontop of a massive scene, I've had 32 distinct characters in the scene at any one time and with replication this can go as high as 132 on an 8GB machine (CPU ram not GPU here).

I am currently waiting for the above card to arrive, suviving on a 1GB card exporting out of Carrara to DAZ and then into Octane. I've already squeezed a lot into that space (by using those cut down models).

So if you are prepared to do the prep work, and prepared to spend some time in the standalone version of Octane (to learn the complete system), all this can be yours now, with todays medium range technology.

As regards OTOYs stayability, just look at the range of 3d software it already works with, some high end stuff in there, as well as Blender, and poser based. The facebook page has 1.1million likes. This is here for the forseeable future.

Personally I think the game has changed. I'm not looking back. Time to get practising via the existing DAZ interface. The future is now.